Episode 28: Creating Confusion or Clarity: Q&A of Listener Mail
In Episode 28, we review questions around osteoporosis including: bone density testing and the limits of medical tests in general; the risks (including osteoporosis) and benefits of proton pump inhibitors for heartburn; and assessing calcium intake and the possible risks of calcium. We also briefly discuss topics of risk assessors of CVD, an approach to patients using complementary alternative therapies, and make a few random, but obviously brilliant suggestions.
1) Comparison of H2 Blocker vs PPI
CADTH report on the Evidence for PPI Use in GERD
2) Studies suggesting risk from PPI for osteoporosis/fracture and C. difficile CMAJ 2008;179:319-26 JAMA 2005;294:2989-95.
3) Calcium and vascular events BMJ 2008;336:262-6 Circulation 2007;115:846-54
4) STENO – multifactorial intervention for type 2 diabetes N Engl J Med 2008;358:580-91
5) The book The Bedford Murder: An Evidence-Based Clinical Mystery (Paperback) by Marshall Godwin & Geoffrey Hodgetts
Listening to this episode is for premium podcast members only. If you already have a membership, login to your account. If you aren't yet a premium subscriber, sign up today!