Episode 382: Poverty – the impact it has on health and what we can do about it – PART II
In episode 382, Mike and James and Gary Bloch decide to try to solve the problem of poverty. While we get somewhere, it becomes clear that it might take more than just doing a 30-minute podcast. Who would have thought? Nonetheless, we hope that some of the things we discuss will inspire others to continue the battle against this extremely important health issue.
1) Butler-Jones D. Chief Public Health Officer’s report on the state of public health in Canada. Addressing health inequalities. Ottawa, ON: Government of Canada; 2008.
2) The Clinical Tool on Poverty
3) A novel income security intervention to address poverty in a primary care setting: a retrospective chart review
4) Building a Foundation to Reduce Health Inequities: Routine Collection of Sociodemographic Data in Primary Care.
J Am Board Fam Med 2016;29:348-55
5) Framework for building primary care capacity to address the social determinants of health
Can Fam Physician 2017;63:e476-e482
6) What is the impact on individual health of services in general practice settings which offer welfare benefits advice?
Health Soc Care Community 2006;14:1–8
7) UK Social Prescribing – evidence
8) Taking action on the social determinants of health in clinical practice: a framework for health professionals