Episode 68: The “heart of the matter” for stroke prevention in atrial fibrillation
In episode 68, we get to the “heart of the matter” of stroke prevention for atrial fibrillation. We find out from Peter Loewen, that it is all a numbers game, and he gives us the tools to deal with this issue. We talk about warfarin and ASA and clopidogrel with respect to their benefits and harms. At the end of the podcast Peter tells us about dabigatran, which obviates all the messages we provide in this podcast. Mike develops an intracranial bleed during the podcast, Peter and James act concerned but continue on because that is what Mike would have wanted.
1) Estimating the risk of strokes in a patient with atrial fibrillation
A useful electronic resource from peterloewen.com
2) Warfarin versus ASA in atrial fibrillation patients > 75 yrs old
3) Clopidogrel and atrial fibrillation
Clopidogrel plus ASA versus warfarin (in patients suitable for warfarin)
ASA plus clopidogrel vs ASA (in patients not suitable for warfarin)
4) Vitamin K supplementation for labile INRs
5) Brief stops in warfarin – what do you do?
Cohort studies (no RCT yet, will get when BRIDGE finished)
6) Dabigatran versus warfarin for stroke prevention in atrial fibrillation
Listening to this episode is for premium podcast members only. If you already have a membership, login to your account. If you aren't yet a premium subscriber, sign up today!