Episode 103: Are there side effects from telling patients about side effects?
In episode 103, James and Mike discuss the whole concept of discussion of side effects with patients. They rarely disagree but commonly get confused and at the end they both develop all the side effects discussed, which goes completely against the available literature.
1) Important elements of outpatient care
2) The consent form that caused side effects
Clin Pharmacol Ther 1987;42:250-3
3) The evidence that telling patients about side effects doesn’t cause side effects
Br J Psych 1978;132:526-7
J Behav Med 1982;5:263-73
Br J Clin Pharmac 1984;17:21-5
Br J Clin Pharmac 1989;27:723-39
J Fam Pract 1990;31:62-4
Arch Int Med 1994;154:2753-6
4) If you are allergic you are allergic
N Engl J Med 2003;349:1628-35
5) Why you shouldn’t use words to describe the magnitude of side effects
Listening to this episode is for premium podcast members only. If you already have a membership, login to your account. If you aren't yet a premium subscriber, sign up today!