Episode 194: The evidence for Vitamin D and folic acid for depression is not all that depressing
In episode 194, Mike and James invite our good friend and colleague David Gardner to layout the evidence for folic acid and Vitamin D for depression. Because there isn’t a lot of definitive evidence we discuss how to make recommendations in the face of limited evidence. We decide that decisions often come down to the chance of harm and what other alternatives are available. At the end, Mike and David decide to take Vitamin D and folic acid just to deal with all the snow they are under. James just goes outside in the sun and gardens.
1) Canadian Network for Mood and Anxiety Treatments (CANMAT) Clinical Guidelines for the Management of Major Depressive Disorder in Adults
2) Enhancement of fluoxetine with folic acid
3) Folic acid with fluoxetine
4) Methylfolate and depression
5) L-methylfolate for depression
6) Vitamin D as adjunctive therapy to fluoxetine