Episode 287: Media and a machination of the mind
In episode 287, James and Mike discuss their experiences evaluating and interacting with the media. We talk about the stories, the spin, the science and especially the BS. At the end, to make a point, we put a whirlwind of spin on all our research and send it off to the Land of Oz.
1) Jon Stewart – BS is everywhere
Starting at 32.26
“The best defense against bullshit is vigilance. So if you smell something, say something.”
2) Drugs in the news: an analysis of Canadian newspaper coverage of new prescription drugs.
3) Translation of highly promising basic science research into clinical applications
4) Misrepresentation of Randomized Controlled Trials in Press Releases and News Coverage: A Cohort Study
PLoS Med 2012 9(9): e1001308. doi:10.1371/journal.pmed.1001308
5) The association between exaggeration in health related science news and academic press releases: retrospective observational study
BMJ 2014;349:g7015 doi: 10.1136/bmj.g7015
Listening to this episode is for premium podcast members only. If you already have a membership, login to your account. If you aren't yet a premium subscriber, sign up today!