Episode 44: Practice Changing Articles – with Double the Mikes
In Episode 44, we review another collection of practice changing articles and are joined by Dr. Mike Kolber. The first case and study considers the use of metformin in gestational diabetes and the trial leads to a longer discussion of the challenges of prescribing in pregnancy. The second case and study concerns the use of ondansetron for vomiting in pediatric patients. James interrupts the two Mikes frequently but never knows which one.
1) Metformin for gestational diabetes
2) Glyburide for gestational diabetes
3) Persistent pulmonary hypertension of the newborn
4) Risk of depression relapse in pregnancy
5) Vomiting in kids and ondansetron
Dosing: Ondansetron usually 1 dose: IV 0.15-0.3 mg/kg or oral 2-8 mg (range based on weight) or 1.6-4 mg (range based on age)