In our 12th episode, we divide and conquer the remaining points around hypertension. In section A, we talk about monitoring blood pressure: frequency, reliability and home monitoring are all discussed. In section B, we talk about the potential side-effects of different hypertension therapies and the need to monitor for biochemical-metabolic effects. In the end, Mike is hyper and James is tense but both need therapy.
1) Effect of home blood pressure monitoring on blood pressure
2) Hypokalemia and metabolic effects of thiazides are dose related
3) Cardioselective beta-blockers in mild-moderate asthma and COPD Cardioselective beta-blockers in asthma
Cardioselective beta-blockers in COPD
- Beta-Blockers in Asthma (Ann-Intern-Med, 2003)
- Beta-Blockers in COPD (cochrane, 2005)
- Meta-analysis of home BP monitoring (BMJ, 2004)